Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Homefries, by Em

Once again, this is really, really easy.  So easy I'm not sure if it counts as a recipe.  I'm going to do it anyways, though, because a) potatoes are on sale now and b) I'm still convincing myself that we will be having perfect grilling weather for the rest of the week.  Mmm-hmm.  Yep.

Ingredients:
4 lg potatoes
1/4 cup of mayonnaise
salt and pepper

Directions:
  • Cut the potatoes into reasonable-sized wedges.  The ones I got today were ginormous, so I first cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half into eighths.  Even after having cut the length in half, they were still about the length of the average french fry.  On smaller potatoes you might only end up cutting the whole potato into four wedges.
  • Baste the wedges in the mayonnaise.  Place them in one layer on a baking sheet and add salt and pepper to taste.  I greased the baking sheet just to be sure, but with the mayonnaise you probably don't have to.
  • Bake at 350-375 degrees (depending on the size of the pieces) for approximately thirty minutes.
Variations:

Try using sweet potatoes instead.  They cook at a slightly higher temperature, about 500 degrees, and you would have to peel them first.

You can also add other spices based on your own preferences.  I always say that I put cayenne pepper on everything.  I'm pretty sure it would be good on these.  Garlic salt would also be good as a substitute for regular salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment